Cashel (now amalgamated to Cashel-TipperaryMunicipality) has been a member of the Charter of European Rural Communities since it started in 1989. Cashel-Tipperary Municipality requested we establish a Friends of Europe association. We are now very proud to have this representation to the European Charter firmly within our community and by our citizens.
The committee of the Friends meet once a month, to discuss and make decisions for the Cashel’s citizen representation to the European Charter. Our Mayor and some municipality councillors also attend these meetings which demonstrate the importance of the Association for Cashel-Tipperary in the European Charter.
Our members, including out committee meet three to four times each year and we have our AGM each January to elect members to the committee. We:
- promote all aspects of the Charter in our community
- provide delegates to European Charter meetings
- celebrate Europe Day on 9th May
- welcome our Friends from the other associations across Europe
- seek to assist in any exchange programmes, such as with schools, sports clubs, cultural programmes, festivals, and so on
- provide host families for visiting members of the European Charter.
From next year we hope to create a new tradition in Cashel. For this we wish each year to have an entry in Cashel St. Patrick’s Day Parade (17th March) – our National Day. For this we plan to send an invitation to our fellow Charter towns across Europe and invite our Friends to participate and hopefully they will wear their traditional costume for the day.
Chairman: Eddie Bennett
Secretary: Magdalena Ciesla
See out Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Europe-Association-Cashel-445621328922460/