Tisno was named after the Croatian word tisno which means strait, which describes its location at the narrow strait separating the island of Murter from the mainland. The municipality extends both to several other villages on the island as well as several nearby villages inland.
- Betina, population 697
- Dazlina, population 45
- Dubrava kod Tisna, population 179
- Jezera, population 886
- Tisno, population 1,287
Many historical sites tell us about the settlement of this area. The remnants of a Roman villa in Ivinj date back to the 1st AD. The site was awarded the status of a protected cultural monument.
The parish church of St.Spirit’s from 1548 was renewed in baroque style in 1640 and enlarged in 1840. The church tower was built in 1684 by the local architects. The church of Our Lady of Caravaggio is a votive church of the Italian family of Gelpis built at the beginning of the 18th century. Each year on 26 May, thousands of pilgrims come from all over the world.
Municipality was established in 1811. Incredible Dalmatian stone houses and narrow streets, wide squares and widespread Mediterranean vegetation along with a long seafront and many traditional restaurants make Tisno an enjoyable environment.
Tisno is situated partly on mainland and partly on Murter island. It is separated by a small 38 metre wide bay. It is the youngest island resort. Connection between mainland and island isby a mechanical bridge that opens twice a day during summer season. Local people stared constructing a bridge right after the breakdown of Republic of Venice but soon after they started, people from other villages protested against it and building the bridge was once again put off. However, construction started soon after and the bridge was finally finished and it remains the same as it is today. The bridge had series of constructions over the years and the last one was done in 1991 and was put in use on August 20th. Tisno had municipal government from 1811 until 1962 when Šibenik County took over. But, after Croatia became independent country in 1993, authority was established again.
Tisno significantly changed over the past few centuries. In 19th and 20th century Tisno was centre of administration as well as trade and dealership, particularly between the two world wars. More traditional activities were wood shipbuilding, fishing, vine and olive cultivation. Tisno was also the first village to open up to tourist activities which resulted in organised tourist since 1923. visits and opening of boarding houses and a hotel.
That was Tisno back then. Tisno today is much different. Tourism is the main activity and existential priority for local people; therefore they are maximally supported by the borough. Tisno has hotels, apartments, luxury rooms and camps. New regional plan is to include some interesting localities turning them into apartment villages, eco sections and auto-camps. Jazina and Rastovac zone is in the plan for building hotels while Luka cove and east side of Tisno are predicted to become nautical marinas. A significant resource is therapeutic mud at the Makirina cove and is important for improving health tourism.
Historical monuments (Tisno)
Tisno Bridge then and now
The old bridge that connects island Murter with the mainland was built at the beginning of 18th century and was replaced with mechanical bridge in 1968. It is the only connection between the island and the mainland. The bridge was reconstructed many times. It used to open manually and sideways. Frequent transportations were donkeys that were sometimes afraid to cross because of the gap between the boards.
The shrine of Our Lady of Karavaj
Veneration of Our Lady of Karavaj began in Italy in 1432 on May 26th in town Caravaggio near Bergamo when apparition occurred to a woman called Ivanica. During 17th and 18th century many Italian families moved from Bergamo to Tisno. They built a small chapel on hill Brošćica in 1720 Since May 26th 1432 and on the same date every year Tisno celebrates the Feast of Our Lady of Karavaj by organising pilgrim’s journey.
Church of the Holy Spirit is the oldest.
It was built in 1548 and renovated in the baroque style in 1640. The beautiful bell tower was built in 1680 by the local craftsmen, with an early gothic statue of Virgin Mary with child, sanctified in 1548. This statue is unique in Europe because it is covered with silver and gold. Due to its value, it is often displayed at different exhibitions around the world.
Saint Rocco and Saint Andrew
St. Rocco’s church is located on the coast of Tisno called Rat and it was built around 1651. The belfry’s form is typical for this era. There are two votive days; first votive day is celebrated on January 1st; second votive day is at January 27th and celebrates extermination of plague (1691). Plague again appeared at August 8th and killed 688 people.
St. Andrew’s church was built at 1606.
It is located on the hill in the southern part of the island. Altar has an image of the saint signed by Ant Alborghetti Dilettante dating back to 1878. Possessions of this church were taken by French government in 1809. Church has been completely renovated.
Archaeological site at the church of Saint Martin – Ivinj area
Archaeological excavations revealed the walls of villa complex dating back to the 2nd and 3rd century. Furthermore, remaining of basilica from the 5th century, altar, early Christian baptistery and 900 tombs from the 15th century have been found. Archaeologists are still searching this area for a cemetery.
During 18th century wealthy families from Italy moved to Tisno and adapted well. Eleven villas remain from that time. The garden of villa Meštrov has been transformed into a beautiful baroque park where you can sit, relax and enjoy comfortable surroundings.
Click on this link to learn more about Tisno: www.tisno.hr